Mindfulness for physicians, dentists, physician assistants and podiatrists.
Washington Physicians Health Program is happy to announce new programs to enhance the health of Washington state medical professionals. These programs will be open to any physician, dentist, veterinarian, physician assistant or podiatrist. No past or current involvement with WPHP is necessary.
"Introduction to Mindfulness" a 5-week class based on Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR). MBSR is designed to reduce stress and improve general mental health and functioning. Its effectiveness has been verified through hundreds of studies since its creation in 1979. Mindfulness does not eliminate life’s pressures, but it can help us respond to pressures in a calmer manner that benefits our heart, head and body.
MBSR shows positive research indications for:
- immune system function
- reduce anxiety
- prevent relapse of depression
- reduce negative emotions responding to stress
- manage chronic pain
- chronic health conditions including high blood pressure, fibromyalgia, heart disease, asthma, GI distress, and skin disorders.
- effective coping with short and long-term stressful situations.
- growth in the brain areas associated with learning, memory, focus, attention, emotional regulation, and empathy
- enhance compassion and altruism
- with relationships and communication parents reduce pregnancy-related anxiety
- professionals cope with stress, connect with patients, and reduce burnout-inducing negative emotions and anxiety.
- Veterans and other sufferers of PTSD
- with obesity - increasing “mindfulness of eating”
- general health and wellbeing through a focus on prevention and improved awareness of what's truly harmful and helpful
This shorter Introduction to Mindfulness class was inspired by MBSR and offers a deep taste of mindfulness training in a briefer 5-week period.
This course is for physicians, dentists, veterinarians, physician assistants and podiatrists. No past or current involvement with WPHP is necessary.
Introduction to Mindfulness is a structured 5-week course on mindfulness that promotes stress, health and well being. This highly participatory, practical class includes:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching and mindful yoga
- Inquiry exercises to enhance awareness in everyday life
- Group dialogue and small group exercises
- Daily home assignments
- Guided audio files for home practice
- a 40-page workbook with short readings, a guide to the course, and resources to support your ongoing investigation of mindfulness
Please see the MBSR page for full details about this well-researched class designed by Jon Kabat-Zinn and the Center for Mindfulness at the UMass Medical Center.
4 regular class sessions and an extended session.
There are two choices of schedule. One section meets on Wednesday evenings, the other meets on Thursday evenings.
Section 1 - Wednesday evenings:
Wednesday evenings 6:00pm - 8:30pm and a Saturday Session as follows:
- April 8, Wednesday, 6-8:30pm
- April 15, Wednesday, 6-8:30pm
- April 22, Wednesday, 6-8:30pm
- April 25, Saturday, 9am-4pm
- May 6, Wednesday, 6-8:30pm
Section 2 - Thursday evenings:
Thursday evenings 6:00pm - 8:30pm and a Saturday Session as follows:
- April 9, Thursday, 6-8:30pm
- April 16, Thursday, 6-8:30pm
- April 23, Thursday, 6-8:30pm
- April 25, Saturday, 9am-4pm
- May 6, Thursday, 6-8:30pm
Instructors: Lisa Hardmeyer Gray (Wednesdays) and Janice Sack-Ory (Thursdays)
Downtown Seattle at WPHP headquarters: 720 Olive Way, Suite 1029, Seattle, WA 98101.
$150 for clinicians and their significant others.
The fee includes all 5 meetings and instructional materials (course manual, home practice CDs).
a) By phone, please call and provide us with a credit card number for a one-time charge.
b) By mail, send a check made out to WPHP, address below, Attn: Jason Green.
- Cancel by 1/2, full refund.
- Cancel after 1/15, no cash refund; money will be applied to a future series.
- No refunds will be given once the series has started.
Please contact: WPHP
Jason Green, WPHP Wellness Program Director, at 206-583-0127 or email Jgreen@wphp.org.
WPHP attn: Jason Green
720 Olive Way, Suite 1010
Seattle, WA 98101-1819