A new mindfulness series in Bellingham for physicians and healthcare professionals (and their spouses or partners). Approved for 14 Category 1 CME Credits.
The Northwest Washington Medical Society (NWMS) is happy to announce new programs to enhance the health of Whatcom and San Juan County medical professionals.
These programs will be open to any healthcare professional and their spouse or partner. No past or current involvement with mindfulness or NWMS is necessary. Discounted rates for NWMS members are available.
(of Mindfulness Northwest) will also be speaking about mindfulness at the September 13th NWMS General Membership Meeting. Dinner and social at 6pm, mindfulness program at 7pm. The meeting will be help at the Bellingham Golf and Country Club.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) training has been shown to:
- increase immune system function
- reduce anxiety
- prevent relapse of depression
- reduce negative emotions responding to stress
- manage chronic pain
- help manage chronic health conditions including high blood pressure, fibromyalgia, heart disease, asthma, GI distress, and skin disorders
- provide an effective coping mechanism for short and long-term stressful situations
- encourage growth in the brain areas associated with learning, memory, focus, attention, emotional regulation, and empathy
- enhance compassion and altruism
- with relationships and communication, parents reduce pregnancy-related anxiety
- help professionals cope with stress, connect with patients, and reduce burnout-inducing negative emotions and anxiety.
- help veterans and other sufferers of PTSD
- with obesity - increase “mindfulness of eating”
- provide an increase in general health and well-being through a focus on prevention and improved awareness of what's truly harmful and helpful
This shorter Mindfulness for Healthcare Professionals class was inspired by MBSR and offers a deep taste of mindfulness training in a briefer 5-week period.
This course is for healthcare professionals and their spouses / partners in the greater Bellingham area.
Mindfulness for Healthcare Professionals is a structured 5-week course on mindfulness that promotes stress, health and well being. This highly participatory, practical class includes:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching and mindful yoga
- Inquiry exercises to enhance awareness in everyday life
- Group dialogue and small group exercises
- Daily home assignments
- Guided audio files for home practice
- a 40-page workbook with short readings, a guide to the course, and resources to support your ongoing investigation of mindfulness
Please see the MBSR page for full details about this well-researched class designed by Jon Kabat-Zinn and the Center for Mindfulness at the UMass Medical Center.
Instructor: Tim Burnett, Executive Director
Barkley Village (Dorothy Haggen Conference Room)
2211 Rimland Drive #106
Bellingham, WA 98226
Schedule: Sunday evenings 6pm - 8:30pm October 23 - November 20, extended session 1pm - 7pm on November 13th.
$240 for NWMS members / $280 for non-members
Course is eligible for 14 Category 1 CME credits (no additional fee)
The fee includes all 5 meetings and instructional materials (course manual, home practice CDs).
Registration: please click the Register button to the left