Mindfulness for medical professionals and their spouses/partners
Washington Physicians Health Program is happy to announce new programs to enhance the health of Washington state medical professionals.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) training has been shown to benefit:
- immune system function
- reduce anxiety
- prevent relapse of depression
- reduce negative emotions responding to stress
- manage chronic pain
- chronic health conditions including high blood pressure, fibromyalgia, heart disease, asthma, GI distress, and skin disorders.
- effective coping with short and long-term stressful situations.
- growth in the brain areas associated with learning, memory, focus, attention, emotional regulation, and empathy
- enhance compassion and altruism
- with relationships and communication parents reduce pregnancy-related anxiety
- professionals cope with stress, connect with patients, and reduce burnout-inducing negative emotions and anxiety.
- with obesity and eating disorders
- general health and wellbeing through a focus on prevention and improved awareness of what's truly harmful and helpful
This shorter Mindfulness for Healthcare Professionals class was inspired by MBSR and offers a deep taste of mindfulness training in a briefer 5-week period.
These programs will be open to any medical professional along with your spouse or partner. No past or current involvement with WPHP is necessary.
To gather with like-minded peers from the medical profession in a supportive group is a deeply beneficial aspect of this program.
Introduction to Mindfulness is a structured 5-week course on mindfulness that promotes stress, health and well being. This highly participatory, practical class includes:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching and mindful yoga
- Inquiry exercises to enhance awareness in everyday life
- Group dialogue and small group exercises
- Daily home assignments
- Guided audio files for home practice
- a 50-page workbook with short readings, a guide to the course, and resources to support your ongoing investigation of mindfulness
Please see the MBSR page for full details about this well-researched class designed by Jon Kabat-Zinn and the Center for Mindfulness at the UMass Medical Center.
Instructor: Richard Johnson, PhD
Downtown Seattle at WPHP headquarters:
720 Olive Way, Suite 1029
Seattle, WA 98101
Schedule: Sunday evenings 6pm - 8:30pm October 23 - November 20th, extended session 1pm - 7pm on November 13th
$250 per person.
The fee includes all 5 meetings and instructional materials (course manual, home practice CDs).
Additional Information: please see this page on the WPHP website.
CANCELLATION POLICY: Cancel prior to first session, full refund. Cancel after series has begun, no cash refund but funds can be applied to future WPHP Wellness events.
Registration questions: Please register through Mindfulness Northwest using our online registration (the "Register" button to the left) or by contacting us at 360-830-6439 ext 0.