Register Through UW
Join us, along with other clinicians, staff, and their family members, in an investigation of mindfulness from the inside out. Mindfulness for Healthcare Providers is based on Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR). MBSR is the best-researched mindfulness intervention with positive research indications for:
- Improving immune system function
- Reducing anxiety
- Preventing relapse of depression
- Reducing negative emotional response to stress
- Managing chronic pain
- Addressing chronic health conditions including high blood pressure, fibromyalgia, heart disease, asthma, GI distress, and skin disorders
- Effectively coping with short and long-term stressful situations
- Encouraging growth in the brain areas associated with learning, memory, focus, attention, emotional regulation, and empathy
- Enhancing compassion and altruism
- Reducing pregnancy-related anxiety
- Helping professionals cope with stress, connect with patients, and reduce burnout-inducing negative emotions and anxiety
- Coping with PTSD (veterans and other sufferers)
- Increasing “mindfulness of eating” (e.g., in relationship to obesity)
- Improving general health and well-being through a focus on prevention and greater awareness of what's truly harmful and helpful
This Mindfulness for Healthcare Providers class was inspired by MBSR and offers a deep taste of mindfulness training in a shorter 5-week period.
This course is for UW-affiliated clinicians and their family members. This includes UW Medicine Staff and residents/fellows/students and their family members. Please contact GME directly with eligibility questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206.616.8286.
Mindfulness for Healthcare Providers is a structured 5-week course on mindfulness that promotes stress reduction, health and well-being. This highly participatory, practical class includes:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching and mindful yoga
- Inquiry exercises to enhance awareness in everyday life
- Group dialogue and small group exercises
- Daily home assignments
- Guided audio files for home practice
- a 40-page workbook with short readings, a guide to the course, and resources to support your ongoing investigation of mindfulness
Please see our MBSR page for full details about the well-researched MBSR class designed by Jon Kabat-Zinn and the Center for Mindfulness at the UMass Medical Center.
5 meetings: 4 regular class sessions and one extended session.
Sunday evenings 6:00pm - 8:30pm, April 9th, April 23rd, April 30th, May 14th (skips April 16th)
Extended session: Sunday May 7th, 1:00pm - 7:00pm
Instructor: Richard Johnson, PhD
UW School of Medicine
South Lake Union
850 Republican St.
(Map and directions)
$150 for UW Faculty/Staff, $50 for UW Housestaff
The fee includes all 5 meetings and instructional materials (course manual and home practice CDs).
The classes are sponsored by UW Graduate Medical Education and the UW School of Medicine Wellness Committee and offered at a reduced fee.
Registration:RegistER Through UW