Learn the healing art of mindfulness in this well-respected class.
26 CE credits also available if you are a healthcare professional.
Are you interested in mindfulness and its potential for enhancing health and well being? Are you under stress? Are you struggling with chronic conditions such as chronic pain, depression, and anxiety? Are you feeling as if life is too much? Or do you simply want to live a fuller life with greater balance?Recent research shows Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) reduces chronic pain and boosts the immune system; addresses painful mental states like depression and anxiety; minimizes emotional reactivity and promotes well-being; increases flexible attention and sharpens mental focus; and actually thickens grey matter in the areas of empathy and problem-solving.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction is a structured 8-week course on mindfulness that reduces stress, and promotes health and well-being. This highly participatory, practical course includes:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching and mindful yoga
- Inquiry exercises to enhance awareness in everyday life
- Group dialogue and small group exercises
- Daily home assignments
- Guided audio files for home practice
- A 50-page workbook with short readings, a guide to the course, and resources to support your ongoing investigation of mindfulness
Please see the MBSR page for full details about this well-researched class designed by Jon Kabat-Zinn and the Center for Mindfulness at the UMass Medical Center.
Who this class is for:
This adult class is open to the general public. Come join us!
Instructor: Richard Johnson, PhD, Mindfulness Northwest Senior Instructor and Trained MSC Teacher qualified to teach MSC by the Center for Mindful Self-Compassion.
Location: Offered Live Online.
Online Note: We'll use the Zoom video conferencing platform. Find out more about this easy to use software at www.Zoom.us. Broadband internet is required. This class is an interactive online class. All that is needed to participate is a device with a camera and microphone (like a smartphone, tablet or laptop). Simple and easy instructions will be provided and we will help you get set up smoothly. In addition, details on how to use Zoom will be sent with your registration.
9 meetings: 8 regular class sessions and one Day of Mindfulness retreat (see also alternate in-person retreat day option below.)
Cost: $340 - $520 Sliding Scale Tuition. We also have special Scholarship Tuition options available for those unable to pay at the low end of the sliding scale. Payment plans are also available during registration (four equal monthly payments; no financing fee).
The registration fee includes all nine meetings and instructional materials (a downloadable course manual and home practice CDs).
REGISTER ONLINE or register by phone at 360-830-6439 ext 0.
In-Person Retreat Day Option
Those living in the Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham or Wenatchee areas (or willing to travel), may instead choose to attend an in-person Day of Mindfulness Retreat Day that is scheduled near or after the date of the scheduled online retreat. There is no additional fee charged for attending this alternative retreat.
To attend an alternate In-Person Day of Mindfulness Retreat Day:
1. Register for the online MBSR course
2. Find in-person retreats and dates here.
3. Email us and let us know you've enrolled in the MBSR online class and would like to attend an in-person retreat day. Please include the DATE and LOCATION.
4. We will register you for your alternative selection if space is available and send a confirmation email.
For all details about our registration and cancellation policies, please see our Course Registration Policies page.
Notes for King County employees who are taking this course as part of the Balanced You program:
1) King County employees are eligible for free tuition via the King County Balanced You program. To sign-up for this course, please email BalancedYou@kingcounty.gov to request approval before registering on this website.
2) If for any reason a King County employee cannot attend a course they are registered for, please immediately notify KCTraining@kingcounty.gov. Cancellations must be received in writing at least five full business days prior to the start of the class. Registrants who cancel with less than five business days' notice or who fail to attend the class will be assessed a $100 cancellation fee.
Continuing Education Credits
Please note that this is a community class and all are welcome to join. This section provides the details for those choosing to request CE credits. CE credits are granted per class. If participants miss a class, those CE credits cannot be made up at a later date. In addition, participants must be registered for this class by week two (2) in order to also register for CE credits.
Up to 26 CE credits are available to class participants through our collaboration with International Seminars Group (ISG). For full details visit our CE credit information page.
Psychologists, Licensed Mental Health Counselors (LMHC), Social Workers (LCSW), Marriage and Family Therapists (LMFT), Registered Dietitians, and Nurses.
For Mental Health Professionals:
International Seminars Group (ISG) is approved by the American Psychological Association to provide continuing education programs for psychologists. ISG maintains responsibility for its programs and its content. The Washington State Board of Certified Counselors, Washington State Board of Social Workers, and Washington State Board of Marriage and Family Therapists do not provide pre-approval for classes. These boards frequently accept courses from APA-approved sponsors.
International Seminars Group (ISG) is approved by the Florida Board of Nursing to provide continuing education programs for nurses. ISG maintains responsibility for its programs and its content. The Washington State Board of nursing does not provide pre-approval for classes. This board frequently accepts courses approved by other state boards of nursing.
More Details & Registration:
For full details please visit our CE credit information page.
Our Other Classes, Retreats, and WorkshopsSee our entire schedule of classes, workshops, and retreats. Or to sign up for our MBSR 5-day Residential Intensive Training Retreat coming in August click here.