Our 5-day intensive form of
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)
Designed especially for those who have found attending an 8-week class difficult to schedule, this 5-day intensive includes all of the content of our popular 8-week program offered in a beautiful retreat setting.
Friday July 30, through Thursday morning, August 5, 2021
What people are saying...
The teachers are lovely, gentle, incredibly supportive, and clearly knowledgeable about mindfulness and how it can support us in our lives.
- Katarina Gombocz, Bellingham
This highly participatory intensive form of the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) course includes:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching and mindful yoga
- Inquiry exercises to enhance awareness in everyday life
- Group dialogue and small group exercises
- A workbook with short readings, a guide to the course, and resources to support your ongoing investigation of mindfulness
Please see the MBSR page for full details about this well-researched class designed by Jon Kabat-Zinn and the Center for Mindfulness at the UMass Medical Center.
Simple accommodations and all meals will be included. And for what to expect at our multi-day residential trainings, click HERE.
Who this event is for:
This adult event is open to the general public. Come join us!
Karen Schwisow, E-RYT, Mindfulness Northwest Senior Teacher. Karen is certified to teach MBSR by the Center for Mindfulness at the University of Massachusetts.
Teresa Johnson, Mindfulness Northwest Instructor.
Schedule: Starts Friday, with 2 PM check-in. Closes the following Thursday, with 11 AM check-out. A more detailed schedule will be provided later (please keep in mind, times may change at the discretion of the Training leaders).
- Friday: 2 pm Check-in, 5 pm Dinner, 6 - 8:30 pm training session
- Saturday - Wednesday: 7 - 8 am morning training sessions, 9 am - 5 pm training sessions (with break for lunch)
- Thursday: 9 am - 11:00 am training session
Details on what to have ready for the week will be sent upon registration.Cost:
Cost range for this 5-day retreat including room, board, and instruction is TBD and also depends on housing. Work exchange scholarships will be available from Indralaya (retreat venue).
Registration for this event will be done directly with Indralaya Retreat Center in early 2021. Want to be the first to hear about the opening date for Registration? Click below to be added to our waitlist.
Join Waitlist Now
Instructions and details will be provided when you register with Indralaya Retreat Center. Indralaya is located on Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands of Washington State.
This beautiful location is a 78-acre sanctuary of forest, meadows, and trails along 3/4 of a mile of shoreline.
Directions and more information about Indralaya Retreat Center are available here.
Note that there is no public transportation all the way to Indralaya Retreat Center. In addition, a ferry ride from Anacortes or from Friday Harbor/Sydney is needed in order to get to Indralaya. Plan your trip and make ferry reservations in advance if you plan to bring a vehicle: Ferry Schedule.
Indralaya Retreat Center Shuttle Service from Orcas Island Ferry Landing
Indralaya will offer a shuttle service from the Orcas Island ferry landing to the Retreat Center between the hours of 1:45 pm - 5 pm on July 30th (the start-date of this intensive). In addition, shuttle service to the Orcas Island ferry landing is also available before our noon check-out on August 5th.
Indralaya's shuttle service only operates during these timeframes on the start and end dates of our retreat.
Need a ride or want to help others with transportation to the Anacortes ferry dock or all the way to Indralaya? Accommodations at Indralaya:
See our carpooling page for setting up ride shares.
Indralaya Retreat Center offers three types of cabins: Sleeping Cabins, Plumbing Cabins, and Round House.
Most cabins at Indralaya are Sleeping Cabins. These are simple, rustic, and warmed with wood burning stoves or electric heat. They share the use of a nearby bathhouse. Sleeping cabins vary in size and can accommodate an average of 2 - 4 guests.
Plumbing Cabins vary in size and amenities. There are seven of these cabins on site and all include a shower, sink, and toilet. A surcharge is required for lodging in the Plumbing cabins.
The Round House has seven sleeping rooms with shared use of 2.5 bathrooms and a common area with a kitchenette. Rooms are both double and single occupancy. A surcharge is required for lodging in the Round House.
Small RV or tent camping is also available.
During the registration process, you may request one of these options: Sleeping Cabin, Plumbing Cabin, Round House, or RV or tent camping.
| Round House:
||Small RV and Tent Camping:
The delicious vegetarian meals served at Indralaya Retreat Center are a reflection of their mission to honor and engage with nature in ways that cause the least harm, foster compassion, and encourage mindfulness in how we interact with the world. All meals are included in the registration price. Indralaya can accommodate most dietary requests - just let them know in the Comments field during registration.
Expectations of Participants:
By signing up for this intensive you are agreeing to:
1) Follow the Schedule - participate in the training schedule as fully as possible. We allow alternate schedules and variations in the schedule due to health needs. This is a structured week of practice with a schedule of practices we will do together starting first thing in the morning. That structure is a powerful support for deepening our mindfulness practice.
2) Participate in After Meal Chores and End-of-Retreat Clean-up - As members of the camp community, everyone is asked to participate in after-meal cleanup. Visitors are also asked to clean their own cabins at the end of each visit, preparing them for the next guest. Indralaya Retreat Center is maintained by a small volunteer staff and costs are held low by asking the visiting group to leave the facility as clean as they found it.
Our other Classes, Workshops, and Retreats
See our entire schedule of classes, workshops, and retreats.