We recommend the following weekly mindfulness practice groups which are in the style of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction and accessible to all regardless of spiritual/religious orientation. All of these groups are drop-in. You may contact them ahead for more information and an orientation to what they do or simply drop in. Prior experience with MBSR is helpful. Scroll down for Kirkland and Tacoma options.
Seattle: Monthly/ Weekly Community Sits in the Mindfulness Style
- Mindfulness Northwest MBSR and MSC Alumni Practice Group: Monthly, 4th Fridays. Join MNW teachers Richard and Teresa Johnson for mindfulness and self compassion practices and group sharing as well as brief reading and reflection about living mindfully. Good Shepherd Center, 4649 Sunnyside Ave N, Seattle, 7-8:30 pm One-Time Free Registration here
- Meditation Mondays - Mondays at 12:30pm - Medical Dental Building (downtown Seattle)
509 Olive Way, 3rd Floor Winter Garden Conference Room. Facilitated by Amy Darling. 206-920-9929 www.amycdarling.com. Amy also offers periodic half-day retreats. Downloadable Flyer.
Seattle Mindfulness Center's Community Meditation - Tuesdays at 7:30pm - Seattle Mindfulness Center (Phinney Ridge)
You are welcome to offer a donation. However, all are welcome regardless of ability to pay.
Please note that this is not an introductory meditation class and is best suited to those who have already completed a mindfulness class. Each evening begins with brief instruction, followed by a 35-40 minute sitting meditation and discussion.More details: http://seattlemindfulnesscenter.com/community-meditation-group/
Mindfulness at the Frye - Wednesdays at 12:30pm - Frye Art Museum (First Hill)
Present-moment awareness is essential to experience and appreciate any work for art, but it can be elusive and we often find ourselves distracted or lost in thought. Through the training and practice of mindfulness meditation we can apply present-moment awareness not only to experience art, but to all aspects of life. We can discover a calm amidst our to-do lists and more fully appreciate the gift of each day.
Partnering with Swedish Medical Center Rehab Services, the Frye offers free, thirty-minute “drop-in” mindfulness-meditation sessions Wednesdays at 12:30 pm. These sessions are guided by Carolyn McManus, PT, MS, MA and Diane Hetrick, PT. Registration is not required.
Materials referenced at past Mindfulness Meditation events.
Mindfulness Meditation is a free program presented weekly, Wednesdays from 12:30 to 1:00 pm. Admission to the Frye is free and free parking is available. More details: http://fryemuseum.org/program/meditation/
- Free Mindfulness Meditation - Wednesdays 12:30 - 1:00pm (downtown Seattle, with an optional Q&A/Intro at 12:15) - Sponsored by Providence Health and Services - Digital Innovation Group
Practice location: Bank of America Building (across from Columbia Tower), 800 5th Avenue, 11th floor. Please RSVP to email@example.com
This is a free and open-to-the public meetup for anyone interested is learning about, or participating in, mindfulness and meditation. These weekly 45-minute sessions are designed to offer the tools and guided experience to cultivate more mindfulness and compassion in your day.
Joining by phone is an option: 1-895-747-5962 Conference ID: 70357050
Seattle: Other Mindfulness Practice Options
Bet Alef Meditational Synagogue: Mindfulness meditation within the Jewish tradition. The contact person is: Rabbi Olivier BenHaim at 206-527-9919. www.betalef.org.
- Centering Prayer Groups: Mindfulness meditation practiced within a Christian tradition. There are centering prayer groups throughout the Greater Seattle area. They can be located on-line at www.conw.org - meets at St. Mark’s Episcopal Cathedral, 1245 10th Ave E., Seattle. The contact person is: Gay Marcontell at 206-322-7482
- Compline Service, St Mark’s Cathedral Every Sunday evening at 9:30 p.m., the all-male Compline Choir leads this formal choral service that is a Seattle tradition. An average audience of 500 packs the Cathedral each week for this meditative service. Many more listen to the broadcast on KING-FM, 98.1 on the radio dial. 1245 Tenth Ave. East Seattle, www.saintmarks.org
- Mindfulness Community of Puget Sound: Mindfulness meditation from a Buddhist perspective, in the tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh. 1920 24th Ave. S. Seattle, WA Meets Monday evenings from 7-9 pm for meditation and instruction. Day of mindfulness on the third Sunday of the month. Regular programs are on a donation basis. www.mindfulnesspugetsound.org
- Nalanda West Open group meditation twice a week on Tuesday evenings 7:00–8:00pm and Sunday mornings from 10:00am–12:00pm. These sessions alternate calm abiding meditation with walking meditation. 7929, 3902 Woodland Park Ave N, Seattle, WA 98103. www.nalandawest.org
- Northwest Dharma Association: A wonderful resource for information on mindfulness meditation in the Buddhist tradition – includes a regular newsletter with articles by meditation teachers and a listing of local meditation classes and retreats. http://northwestdharma.org/ (206) 441-6811
- Seattle Dharma Punx: seattledharmapunx.com - a self-led meditation group geared to an emerging generation of young practitioners, offering a casual space to meditate in community, exploring Buddhist teachings, and sharing personal experience.
- Seattle Insight Meditation Society (SIMS): Mindfulness meditation from a Buddhist perspective (Vipassana style)
This organization offers beginning meditation classes at locations throughout the Seattle area and regularly sponsors respected mindfulness teachers who visit Seattle from around the world. http://seattleinsight.org/Resources/Ongoing-Practice-Support and http://seattleinsight.org/sangha/meditation-groups.
- Seattle: Regular meditation and lecture on Tuesdays 7 - 9 pm at Seattle Insight Meditation Center, 2729 6th Ave S, Suite 101.
- Kirkland: 1st and 3rd Thursdays of the month 7- 9 pm at Northlake Unitarian Universalist Church, 308 4th Ave S.
- Bainbridge Island: Mondays 7 - 8:30 pm at The Bodhi Center, 6717 Marshall Road.
- Capital Hill: Thursdays 6:30 - 8:30 pm at All Pilgrims Church, 500 Broadway East (in the chapel - enter from the courtyard which faces E. Republican Street on the south side of the building).
- Seattle Soto Zen. Zen meditation with an emphasis on present moment experience and clarity. Instruction and support available from resident priest Eko Jeff Kelley - firstname.lastname@example.org
Sundays at 9:30am at Puget Sound Aikido. 101 Nickerson, Seattle (Nickerson Business Park). Just south of Freemont. www.SeattleSotoZen.org
- University Friends Meeting – Seattle area Quakers, silent worship services weekly. http://www.scn.org/friends/ufm.html
- Veteran’s Weekly Meditation (VA) – Every Monday 11am – Noon, VA Hospital Seattle. Special refresher courses taught by MBSR instructors are also being offered. Contact the MBSR Coordinator to confirm times and room locations. (206) 277-1721.
● Eastside Insight Meditation Group – Kirkland – 1 st and 3 rd Thursdays. Northlake Unitarian 308 4th Avenue South. northlakeuu.org/eastside-insight-meditation-group/
Know of other Eastside practice groups? Please let us know at email@example.com.
See also Tacoma Practice options and our Online Practice Group.